PDA

View Full Version : today's debate: cnsuk and its census form

DebateOfTheDay
10th July 2008, 12:24
has anyone seen cnsuk's 4pages long census forms being distributed to the nepalese public in the uk?

is CNSUK (Centre for Nepal Studies, UK) legally authorised to ask those lengthy, complicated and controversial questionnairs under data protection act 1998 (c.29)?

jenish
10th July 2008, 21:16
Hi there,

I have about 10 forms with me, I was asked to distribute them to anyone I know (Nepalese living in the UK).
Yes, some of the questions are very personal and sensitive but I was told that, if people do not want to give all the information; only Name, Address, DOB and any basic info will do. So its not mandatory, I am not sure about controversy though!!

Thanks,
Jenish
Oxford

suraj
11th July 2008, 07:22
hi jenish,
can you upload all pages of forms in this forum?

i heard few negative comments but i do not have copies of forms so i do not wish to comment.

i accessed to their webstie http://www.cnsuk.org.uk/ but there is none !!!
i can guess why we are still behind in going ahead 21st century's pace.
SuRaJ

jenish
11th July 2008, 11:10
Hi Suraj,

I will do that, as soon as I get sometime free. Or do you want me to post you a copy?

Cheers,
Jenish

Boz Baral
11th July 2008, 11:51
I was also very intrigued by the amount of data requested in the form and having spoken to the gentleman who organised this data collection I was still not convinced about the data protection element.

My major concern is that the data collected/maintained in the UK cannot be sent to countries (e.g. Nepal) where there are not enough guidelines (i.e. Data Protection Act) for protection of such data. The data holder also needs to comply with many other things which I am not sure if they are in place with the data holder.

I did not want to tell anyone about my concerns due to this whole programme being endorsed by other Nepalese associations in England (this needs confirmation though) but I simply did not complete form. It is very good of you to open a thread of discussion but it would be extremely useful if people behind this programme made some input here justifying why we should complete the form.

At the end of the day, we do not want our personal details going round the world and someone from 10000 miles away emailing us with a view to deposit a few millions into our bank account or claiming benefits that we are not entitled to.

jenish
11th July 2008, 12:55
I agree with Mr. Baral, I also didn't fillup the form because of the amount of information they have asked. Even though I was told that I don't have to fill all the boxes, I was still in doubt and didn't completed.
I am not worried about scam email what I am worried about is identity fraud which is now going to the peak in the UK. Besides, I do not believe that they have secure place to store the collected data. I don't want my informaion to be accessible to anyone without my consent.

Thanks,
Jenish
Oxford