PDA

View Full Version : Minimum wage

outspoken
10th November 2009, 23:29
Hi all,

Particularly to all new students here, know your rights as a worker and don't be exploited by your boss. I was helping a student I know who was getting paid less than half of the minimum wage, so thought I pass the advice here too...

"I just want to raise, you should complain to your employer (boss) about your wage, the minimum they should be paying is 5.80 per hour (from 1st October 2009 for 22 years and above, different if your 16 above and 18 above) - this is UK Law. Even if you have signed a contract to say you get paid at a certain rate, this doesn't mean nothing. You should still be entitled for 5.80 minimum per hour. There is a free phone number you can ring, where someone can help: 0800 917 2368. More information is below:

The National Minimum Wage rates
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/TheNationalMinimumWage/DG_10027201

If anyone is getting or has been paid less than the minimum wage, share your experience here.

england_hotmale
11th November 2009, 07:43
::) OUTSPOKEN, uncle good morning

Now u make me laugh yar
Is tht joke,, or wht , lol, Do u think those students who is getting less money will come n complain against there owner who is giving them job lol,, ,, may be out of 1000 students, u will get 1 lol 8)
Forget about rights, yar,, ;Dwho follow RIGHTS lol,
let me tell u for eg,, u r boss,, i m working in your resturent,, U giving me 6 evening waiter job, lol n paying me 120 starting,,i start at 5 pm n finish at midnight, sometime 1 am ;D
let me calculate, lol,, :oroughly it will be around 45 hrs lol,,,,,
:oso wht u think,, I M GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT U (OWNER) OR LOVE TO DO THT EVENING JOB WITH LESS MONEY,
FOR YOUR KIND INFORMATION, I think in uk there is around 300 nepalese resturent,,,,,,, N i can bet u if u find any one of them who r paying basic wages ::) 8) ;D :-XIf u don;t agree with me,, I will invite u for dinner every week in different nepalese resturent,, lol :o

ITS EASY TO GIVE ADVICE HARD TO FOLLOW ::) ,, OUTSPOKEN UNCLE lol ;D

outspoken
11th November 2009, 22:49
Good morning to you too...

It's no joke, however I can take your point if people are reluctant to say anything in fear of getting sacked, however, you can't let these idiot bosses get away with it. They are exploiting their position for the sake of selfishness. Anyone reading this, employing people below the minimum wage, be warned, you can get prosecuted. Then Im sure you know this, and I hope you get caught : - )

I am aware that majority of restaurants do not offer the minimum the wage (I used to work in one before there was a minimum wage and got paid peanuts). They should be named and shamed. Examples are always welcome : - )

If I am ur boss, I would pay you at least the minimum wage, why would I want to risk getting prosecuted and being shut down, together with my general professionalism by paying below the threshold, it's called breaking the law. These restaurant owners can try defending themselves that they don't earn enough to pay workers properly, credit crunch, that's all rubbish.

We all know the burning the receipts trick to avoid urrgh erm : - )

england_hotmale - I think you mean, it's easy to give advice, easy to turn the other cheek.