PDA

View Full Version : more stringent rules for student visa in the offing

looneysoul
6th February 2010, 18:11
Hello All,

If you thought the suspension of the tier 4 application for students from Nepal, B'desh and north India was the only big blow to newbie UK bound aspirants, think again! looks like there is lots more to come in a week or two:

Better spoken English requirement, possibly accessed through mandatory IELTS and personal Visa Interview.
Only ten legal hours of work ( instead of present 20) for students on course below degree level.
No dependants to be allowed to accompany students on short courses of less than six months while dependants of students on a course below degree level ( Includes certificate, diploma/ HND courses) NOT allowed to work at all!!.

The impact of these changes I think will be enormous to students especially in courses like HNDs which are a popular route to a UK degree qualification as they are cheaper than University but still allow direct entry to final year at the University. Especially so for HND students in Scotland .

Please follow the link below for details

Cheers

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100206/tpl-govt-to-cut-number-of-student-visas-5b839a9.html

maan
6th February 2010, 22:43
Degree level bhaneko kun kun hola ? like if anybody doing BA from University , what is that? anybody pls

ssudin
7th February 2010, 02:11
This new rules, which do not require legislation, come into effect immediately.
ttp://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/feb/07/student-visas-cuts-points-system (http://ttp://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/feb/07/student-visas-cuts-points-system)

degree level are Bachelors/Masters/Postgraduate affiliated directly by uk universities.

isnt HND degree level? as far as i know they are equvalent to second year of uk university degree.

adiCted
7th February 2010, 05:44
is it already official??

fakenepali
7th February 2010, 06:43
Additionally, visas for courses below degree level will also be granted only if the institutions they attend are on a new register, the Highly Trusted Sponsors List

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8502640.stm

adiCted
7th February 2010, 08:38
a sad n shattering news..
why are we the students sacked always and discriminated?

doesn't the ukba hold any responsibility for us being here? now on the peak of election.. they want to increase their vote bank by issuing these kind of tactics

shame on the uk labour politicians

lovenepalalways
7th February 2010, 08:53
What will happen to the Nepalese students who are already here? Will the new rule applies to them as well or just for new applications? For instance, if a person who is diploma course is here with dependent, does the dependent has to go back? It sounds scary to me.

adiCted
7th February 2010, 22:13
i have reading it in the news .. but there's time it to be made official i guess
no one knows the real fact..

outspoken
8th February 2010, 08:16
It's a shame this disreputes genuine students, but let's be honest, from the government's perspective for every genuine student here, there are 10 others who are not here to study. The student visa has been a easily loophole in the immigration system to enter in the UK and engage in other activities other than study, excessive working being one of them, the other one is terrorism.

In response, to looneysoul's post, I think the first bullet should have always been there and enforced. It's a shame these ****head colleges couldn't upload them.

As for the second point about working, working is generally bad news whilst studying. The bottom line is, students should be able to afford their course fees and their maintenances during education, otherwise results are going to suffer. That has always been emphasised. Having 20 hours to work should be nice add on to any additional finance, and not be depended upon. Reducing the hours to 10 gets that point across more strongly.

As for the 3rd bullet point, only encourages working and disruption to studies. Most likely an immigration decision.

knight
8th February 2010, 08:54
I don't agree everything . Even though I am in University studying with university funding but i genuinely feel for the students because once myself was once in a difficult position financially. I can't imagine how troubled some of these students might be.

What i don't agree is suddenly decreasing the hours of work from 20 to 10. Even though, british government want to enforce this rule, they should only enforce it to new coming students and not to the one who are already here.

Ok, while coming to UK many students do write that they can survive without working. But the bottom line is students come here by looking at the immigration rule at the time of applications. And the at rule at the time of applications says they can work for 20 hours. And British government knows them. So that rule should stay for them until the next time they apply for visa.

The result of this current 10 hour and dependent not working rule will mean student will return to home country in masses. That will be in some way shameful to british government because thousands and thousands of people who will return to home country will take a lot of negative opinion about british education system. The proud history of British education is already marred by sham colleges.

I have a lot of sympathy for genuine nepali student who are already here and who want to get degree and sustain themselves working 15-20 hours a week.

looneysoul
8th February 2010, 23:16
@lovenepalalways the rule applies from right away. But if someone already has a dependant visa with previous conditions it wont be applicable to them ( the new dependant visa will clearly have the new rules mentioned on the vignette stamp) Cheers

@fakenepali Thats right, sorry I missed it earlier, but for courses below degree level, the college has to be in the highly trusted sposors list, when the list comes up that is. Lol highly trusted, gos what kind of absurd category is that? In some time they will come with Super highly trusted sponsers and Extremely highly trusted one..lol..don't be surprised.
@ Knight..the rule will be enforced only to the new students or when the existing ones go for renewal. Before that the condition stated on the old visa stamp remains. So no one is going home in masses atleast not until their current leave expires. Tk a chill pill mate.

@ssudin No. HND doesn't count as degree level course. HND is a SCQF level 8 course whilst an undergraduate degree is a SCQF level 10 course.
So although passing HND makes you eligible for an advanced entry to either second or third year of the undergraduate degree, it is not a level 10 course by itself. "Studying for a degree" is applicable ONLY when you are actually enrolled in a course which gives you level 10 credit on successful completion.
The bottom line is, anyone enrolling for even HND from now on gets to work only 10 hrs and cannot bring his dependant until he gets admitted to the university after completing the HND. Cheers

looneysoul
12th February 2010, 06:39
@lovenepalalways the rule applies from right away. But if someone already has a dependant visa with previous conditions it wont be applicable to them ( the new dependant visa will clearly have the new rules mentioned on the vignette stamp) Cheers

@fakenepali Thats right, sorry I missed it earlier, but for courses below degree level, the college has to be in the highly trusted sposors list, when the list comes up that is. Lol highly trusted, gos what kind of absurd category is that? In some time they will come with Super highly trusted sponsers and Extremely highly trusted one..lol..don't be surprised.
@ Knight..the rule will be enforced only to the new students or when the existing ones go for renewal. Before that the condition stated on the old visa stamp remains. So no one is going home in masses atleast not until their current leave expires. Tk a chill pill mate.

@ssudin No. HND doesn't count as degree level course. HND is a SCQF level 8 course whilst an undergraduate degree is a SCQF level 10 course.
So although passing HND makes you eligible for an advanced entry to either second or third year of the undergraduate degree, it is not a level 10 course by itself. "Studying for a degree" is applicable ONLY when you are actually enrolled in a course which gives you level 10 credit on successful completion.
The bottom line is, anyone enrolling for even HND from now on gets to work only 10 hrs and cannot bring his dependant until he gets admitted to the university after completing the HND. Cheers

I'll admit there are some confusion about whether HND especially in England will be eligible for 20 hrs work and allow dependent to work. As per the ministerial report HND students seem to be able to work for 20 hours and are allowed dependent who also can work fulltime. But there is still some confusion with HND course with placements, in which case the college need to be in the Highly trusted register. So anyway, I'll just wait for some more time ( March/April)) before making a definite comment. Thanx